Friday, August 22, 2008

An innovative and bizarre idea for a baby bottle

I came across this image on the web yesterday and just had to write about it. Is it not the most bizarre looking baby bottle (or bottle in general) that you have ever seen?
This is an idea from "Design Continuum" - they are working on developing a customized nipple bottle, that will look similar to what you see in the picture.
And get this - the nipple will be custom made based on a 3-D scan of the mother's breast!
It is also oriented upside down to better simulate the breast feeding position.
It hasn't been released yet, but the idea is still being researched.
We never bottle-fed our first child and so far haven't tried bottle-feeding our second, and we don't plan to. We have been lucky enough that breastfeeding has gone very well, so haven't had a need to bottle-feed.
With our first child, we did try a bottle on one occassion (with pumped milk) when he was about 8 or 9 months old, to see if he would take it, but he didn't. Perhaps if we had this he would have?
This image and idea raise many questions in my mind. Would I feel like I am "fooling" my baby if I used this? Would I be comfortable walking around in public flashing an exact replica of my wife's nipple around? Would I be tempted to "experiment" with it myself, to see how close to the real thing it is (jokes)?
In any case, it definitely is an innovative idea, no matter how bizarre it looks. Perhaps parents who really want to give their baby the feeling of being breastfed, but are unable to breastfeed for whatever reason, will find this a wonderful alternative.
Appreciate your thoughts! Cheers.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised Hooters hasn't changed their beverage glasses out for these.

Anonymous said...

I'd like one of those myself without the milk...um...was that too much information?

Vincent @ The Magic Network said...

LOL, good ones guys!

Anonymous said...

This innovation is completely unnecessary. Our baby is 100% bottle-fed and he's fine with bottle technology just the way it is. Babies suck to get food and, when the food arrives, they're happy. You can shape the nipple any way you want. The only benefit I can see to this is that it satisfies then irrational psychological needs of some parents.